The ex-Pussycat Doll, who was weighing up a US film offer, has verbally agreed to keep her place after meeting Simon Cowell
Nicole Scherzinger has agreed to return to The X Factor – just days after the Mirror revealed producers were in talks with Mariah Carey for the final judging spot.
The singer, 38, verbally agreed to keep her place on the panel in a meeting with boss Simon Cowell over the weekend.
The secret late-night conference came after we revealed bosses were looking into Mariah’s availability as Nicole stalled over contract talks while weighing up a US film offer last week.
A show source said: “Last week things weren’t looking good and execs started to look elsewhere for a fourth judge because Nicole didn’t look like committing.
“But there’s been a real change over the weekend and Nicole met Simon – we’re 80% sure she’ll sign on now.
“There may be some clashes in her schedule due to other work, but if we can get these ironed out then she’ll be back on the show next year. Simon is keen to have Nicole back and wants everything signed off as soon as possible.”
Nicole has yet to sign a contract for her return but she has agreed to come back alongside him, Sharon Osbourne and Louis Walsh on the judging panel for the new series.
On Saturday, the Mirror told how show bosses had approached Carey, 47, who has previously been a guest judge on American Idol.
The US superstar – one of the best-selling singers of all time – will remain on standby in case of another last-minute twist in the saga.